Friday, July 24, 2009

Pendulous threads

Im working on making more clothes for the kids. I swear they look cuter than these pictures will depict. Im really getting frustrated with my camera. But first here's a blanket I did for a newborn girl yesterday. I used a shaggier mink and I love this print...



I timed myself, from cut to finish it took me 35 minutes, without borders I can whip these guys out fairly quickly. This next dress is the same pattern I got here, I made it for Mylie for her birthday. I used a specialty cotton thats a lighter weight and very easy to use.




For the tie I used a supercute lemon/orange print that I love.. I was inspired by this supermom that refashions alot of her old wardbrobe. So I started with this: one of Dustin's old shirts and a pillowcase...




I ended up with my first "patterned" dress. I actually hate it... I messed up on the sleeves and had to use the flowered print instead of the blue and I accidentially marked on the shirt itself so I had to hem above it and add the lace for the length. I just think it's too busy. I was proud however of how easy it was for me to understand each step...





So I tried again. I used the lemon/orange print for the cuff at the waist and this shirt is like a dark grey, I swear it looks alot cuter then this picture...







Now that Dustin's gone 3 days a week (at the cabin) I have more time to sew using things from my own home...the fabric fund is pretty much non-exsistent! I found a cute skirt tutorial here, it's the skirt Saylee wore on the 4th. I used an old napkin, some remnant fabric and took some toole of her tutu...I really love it! It kind of looks like a hot mess but I think that adds character!







I made another one for Saylees buddy Giana's birthday...I added a "way too big" headband...







I have a goal to concentrate more on boys clothes since I will soon have a bushel of them, it's not fair that I can only make things for Say. So I started with an old shirt of Dus's...




And ended up with this bad boy








I made the acutal pants, I ran out of black thread so I used Brown and you can see EVERY mistake I made (theres alot of those) I had to guess where the knee pads would go, I like the look they add



But my calculations were off and they ended up being shin pads instead! The elastic waist hid alot of errors and guarantees a long life of use!



Grady's just saying Hi!


I swear the knee pads are even, it's just the angle he's standing. He doesn't stop moving long enough to get a good shot.



I tried again using an old pair of my pants that are green (back when I thought it was cool to wear green pants??) and did a much better job. The top of the pants are a bit "parachute-ish," that's something I 'll getter with at time. Because I don't have a serger I'm zig-zagging all my edges and I did a REALLY good job with these ones, but you're going to have to take my word on that!



My goal is to perfect my pattern to make Brody a pair (a little different than this) and without the elastic waist. I'll let you know how that goes!

2 comments:

Taylors said...

Amazing! Seriously, I was reading 'cookie' magazine a few nights ago and I saw a space where they were advertising advertising space (that looks odd). I wanted to call you to give you the number but it was 11 pm and then i forgot. anyway, you need to get a free online store (freewebstore.org even) and do this for reals! I had a dream about it!

Kristy Treible said...

look at you girl! Hmm...what can I have you make for me? I love all this fun stuff you are making who knew you would be the domestic one! Your Mommy would be so proud of you!